The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Friday, June 28, 2019

Hummingbird Garden and Obnoxious Squirrel

We get quite a few hummingbirds that come back to us every summer. We put out feeders for them and also have a lot of wild flowers that they like. I decided to make a hummingbird garden right near the feeders to make it nicer for the hummers and make the area look nicer in general.

Before I went out shopping for the plants for this garden I was out doing some weeding in the nearby veg. garden. I noticed a squirrel acting suspiciously so I decided to watch him or her. Much to my surprise the squirrel jumped up onto the hummingbird feeders, pulled one of the plastic flowers off of the feeder then ran onto the chickens fence with it's treasure. The squirrel chewed on the plastic flower a bit and then spit it out into the chicken yard!

Silly Squirrel hanging upside down on hummingbird feeder.

Squirrel took its prize away from the feeder and onto the chicken yard gate.


I guess squirrel was disappointed with its find he/she chewed on the plastic  flower a but then spit it out. 

The plastic flower landed in the chicken yard, clearly the chickens are smarter than the squirrel since they weren't the least bit interested in the plastic flower. 

One plastic flower removed from hummingbird feeder.

I was quite surprised at the silly squirrel and thought it was a one off case of mistaken food source identity. We've had the same two hummingbird feeders for years and nothing has ever taken on e of the plastic flowers. Off I went to get some plants including some for my hummingbirds garden and when I returned I found that all three plastic flowers had been removed from the hummingbird feeder! The were on the ground underneath. I'm thinking this may not be a very smart squirrel I mean fool you once that can happen to anyone but to try again and again only to find that yes indeed the identical plastic flowers were all non-edible...well it makes one wonder about that squirrel!

Later- all three plastic flowers removed from hummingbird feeder!

Silly squirrel!

He or she, whichever that squirrel might be, was around again while I planed m new flowers for the hummingbird garden, I wonder if it plans to remove the plastic flowers from the second hummingbird feeder?
Start of my hummingbird garden

Hummingbird (and butterfly) garden is off to a good start. I found some nice plants today including butterfly bush and hummingbird mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment