The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Maple update end of March

Maple sugaring season is well underway. I'm quite surprised to have already over 8 gallons of syrup made. This is the most I've ever made in one season and the season is still going strong. I thought the 7 gallons from last year really was my upper limit for our small operation. The weather has been so up and down since mid February it's been more like 2 maple seasons in one. We started early when there was a warm up. Then the weather got very wintery again and all sap flowing halted. Later everything warmed enough again and the maple has been flowing ever since. I must admit at this point I wouldn't mind being done but might as well see if I can get 10 gallons and some candy. The new outdoor gas burner has been working wonderfully. I didn't mind boiling in the kitchen for the last couple years but now I'm reminded how nice it is to boil outdoors and keep all the excess moisture out of the kitchen.







No comments:

Post a Comment