The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Suddenly Not Summer

All of a sudden it's gotten cold. This morning as I did chicken, duck and rabbit chores I could see my breathe and my hands were cold. When I looked at the thermometer it read only 45 degrees. I think autumn is here even if it's a couple weeks away by the calendar. Changes all around as the days get shorter and the nights get colder. 
The gourds are ripening.


Tomato plants are dying off. 


Leeks are looking just about ready to harvest.

The corn is starting to be ready too.

 KitKat explores the changing fall landscape.

A Hubbard Squash grows bigger and bigger.

Many of the older chickens and ducks 1 year old plus are molting and slowing down their laying as they work on growing new feathers.

Nothing to see here, not a predator but the molting process!

Feathers everywhere this time of year.

Some are molting more than others, this 2 year old  Carolina Blue hen must be going for a full feather re-do!

The spring chicks are laying, taking up the slack for the older girls who are molting. The youngest of this year's chicks, a summer hatch, are getting big and exploring everywhere.

Mama Hen Snow White still keeps watch over her great big 8 week old chicks.

Some things haven't changed as much.
I'm still fighting with the electric poultry netting that I put up at night as an additional line of defense. 

And the silkies are ever broody!


No comments:

Post a Comment