The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Sunday, September 2, 2018

There's a bear out there!

Late in the day yesterday I was picking some blackberries for the chickens, they love them so much. I was outside of their fence to the west side where we have an abundance of berry bushes. Usually the birds run right up to the fence waiting for me to toss the berries through. I looked up from my berry picking and was confused. The chickens and ducks were nowhere to be seen by the fence. I looked further and noticed that they had all gone into the coop, into the run or or under shelters. Very quick thoughts were; it is getting close to bedtime maybe they're going in early, I do think I hear thunder in the distance even though the sky is fair, there are a bunch of wild birds causing a ruckus. In a split second while thinking those thoughts it clicked, something wild is around. I looked around and at the north side of the fence there was a great big black bear! The bear was trying to scale the outer fence. I shouted for help from the family, grabbed a metal shovel and metal feed dish and started clanging. Others came to help with noise and the bear very quickly ran off into the woods. That was a good sign, a wild bear should want to avoid the humans and the noise. Although the bear seemed to leave awhile later he was back in the same spot scoping out the fence. Back to noise making and letting the dogs out to bark in their yard. Again the bear ran off. We set up extra security for the night, electric fence on and hoped for the best. As if this morning there is no sign that the bear returned. The fences are not bent or damaged in any way. All animals are safe and sound. This is part of living here on our woodland homestead. I have no issues with the wildlife, they've as much right to be here as me. I will just keep reinforcing my fences and security measures and keep the animals as safe as I can. Oh and that thunder in the distance sound was the bear, it kept making a low rumbling noise at least with this bear we will have early warning, if you hear thunder check for Thunder the bear!

All is well in the farmyard the day after a bear visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment