The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Friday, July 19, 2019

Heatwave continues, Harvesting Garlic and Keeping Cool.


Today seemed like a good day to harvest our garlic. The stalks are starting to brown and drop a bit and there will be a good couple days for it to dry outdoors. I know that 2 years ago when I waited until the second week of August to harvest the garlic it had gone a little too long and some wasn't as good as it could have been. I planed three types of garlic this year, German, Music and Chesnook. Unfortunately the tags were pulled out or knocked over (by chickens I assume!) soi I'm not 100% sure which is which but I have a pretty good idea. As far as I can tell the German garlic had the biggest bulbs. 



With the temperatures hitting mid 90's and higher heat index the animals are all about staying cool. I filled fresh pools for the ducks refreshed water for all animals through the day.



I continued my land clearing/organising project it's going well but those prickly bushes are not nice to work with!
Ducks enjoying more cleared area.

KitKat supervises as usual.

Add caption
 The monster pumpkin plant continues to grow, I'm not sure that KitKat realises the plant si coming his way!
Hey you up there move I want to grow some more.

Pumpkin grows many inches/feet each day. 

The monster pumpkin plant provides cooling shade for KitKat.

It just keeps growing at a fast pace.
I'm not sure why these volunteer pumpkin plants are doing so well compared to others in the garden proper. It's not the best soil here but maybe the large amounts of wood ash we used on the front path during winter has really benefited the soil there.

No comments:

Post a Comment