The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Friday, April 28, 2023

Rescue Bantams first night sleeping in the coop.

Finally a decent weather day for my week off from school/work. Friday was very nice and I took full advantage to get a lot done outdoors.

 First on my agenda was getting  the rescue bantams moved full time into the coop. They need to be part of the flock and the earlier the better. I had to quarantine them their first 2 weeks since they came from unsanitary conditions but after that I started introducing them to the flock a little at a time. 

 Earlier in the week I thought I had their cage in coop set up the way I wanted but it just wasn't right and it didn't help that we have a lot of shavings stored in the coop right now. I had their coop cage near the door and a draft would come in and chilled the smallest bantam. Also I tried a smaller cage at first but couldn't get my largest electric hen brooder plate in it. I wanted the flexibility of the larger brooder plate, I can temperature control that one. 

This was ok for coop visits but it wasn't the right setup for these particularly small 6 week old bantams to move to the coop full time.
 

So what do you do when something isn't working, change it all around. I came up with a much better solution and the bantams spent their first full night in the coop and were absolutely fine.

 





This is much better!

Setting up a different transition cage for the chicks

This was a better way to set up the bantams as the adjust to coop life. I was a little nervous and went back out in the dark to double check all was well in the sleepy coop. All was fine.

Sleeping comfortably under brooder plate.

The bantams approve!





No comments:

Post a Comment