The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Deep Freeze- Did it Kill the Plants?

The weather was predicted to go below freezing and indeed it did go down to 26 F. I had to bring in many seedlings since I knew our greenhouse wouldn't protect the sensitive plants suck as tomatoes, peppers and eggplants at that low temperature. And then a couple days lager all was well again and I had to bring all te seedlings back out! The seedlings did fine as did our strawberries which I covered. Some plants and trees didn't cope with the hard freeze though, including our arctic kiwis and walnut trees. All the leaves and buds on those were killed off and some trees such as a few oaks and other plants I don't know the names for were affected. I'm dissapointed that we won't get arctic kiwi or walnuts this year.

Just some of the many seedlings that I grew and some purchased flowers that I had to bring indoors. Many more were in the bathroom.

What to do about this strawberry bed?

A frost cover saved the strawberries.



 

Poor Arctic Kiwi, it was too cold for even this arctic plant.

The arctic kiwi can cope with well below 0 when dormant but 26F when leafed out was not good.

All leaved from our two walnut trees died.


It seemed to be hit or miss what could cope with the hard freeze and what couldn't. Many of the fruit trees made it through fine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment