The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Strawberries, growing chicks, incubator lockdown and taking apart a coop item

I planted 50 new strawberry plants today. 36 of them in one Greenstalk planter and the rest in fabric pots. I'm interested to see if the strawberries do well in a Greenstalk.




 The Rescue bantam chicks are getting big, well some of them are. The tiny white chicks is still pretty tiny. She is brave and ready for the world though so I let the batams be loose with the flock (with me working in the area) for most of the day. 






Tiny white, who is called C3 (C3P0) wants to be in charge. Tee little black bird is R2(D2) and the silkies are Wookie and Cookie.


 


I will in fact be ruling this roost now, tiny white seems to be saying!


Quite a few years ago we were given two long, pull along, chicken tractor coops. We never used them as coops but they were very useful over the years for rabbits play areas, young chicks being outside but still protected and other uses. Both of these chicken tractor type coops succumbed to large fallen tree limbs this past fall and winter and the wood was rotting some too. I took one apart awhile back and took the other apart today. I sure dislike working with hardware cloth, it has good uses but boy can it hurt! I figured I will set aside the pieces of these units that are still good and they may be of use in the future and I can discard the rest. It took an hour or so to disassemble the unit I worked on today and I had plenty of help or maybe just an audience.













 And finally the biggest news for today, it's lockdown day for the incubated eggs. I raised the humidity, took out the egg turner/divider thing and set down non slip mat specially cut for the incubator. This helps the newly hatched chicks to be more steady on their feet and can help prevent leg issues. Lockdown means there are around 3 more days 'till hatch, give or take. Will we get a baby Turken from our 7 year old Turken eggs? Will any be frizzled, just what eggs did we set? Quite a mix of eggs, 12 are there and looking good, though with the dark and olive eggs I really don't know. I'm sure whatever hatches it will be a fun surprise.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment