The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Time for the bunnies to move.

Our three large rabbits live in a converted dog run cage during all but winter. I have moved this cage from time to time trying to find a perfect place based on whatever we were using it for at the time. It's been the big bunnies for a few years now. I thought it was in a good place then we found that it flooded badly in the spring with all the snow melt. This meant the bunnies couldn't be moved out there until things dried up, about a month later than I wanted to move them out. So it has to move. It's just so heavy though! The boys and hubby said last time I had them move it that it was THE LAST TIME. So what to do, once I get an idea in my head I want to do it. I knew that once I started this I would have to finish it in the day so the bunnies could be back in for bedtime. I also knew that if I let the bunnies loose in the fenced chicken yard that I would most certainly have a terrible time catching them again so I better get what I want done to make it worth the effort!

I took off the heavy duty tarp and various roof pieces then gave it some thought. For anything else now the kennel door must be opened and the bunnies will have freedom.
Taking apart extra roof parts.

Roof tarp, it's a very heavy weight tarp,, has held up well. 


I got up my courage and opened the kennel door. Matilda, our wildest bunny, took off like a shot. the other two, Stella and Lilla were calmer about it all and stayed nearby curious about what i was doing. The chickens and ducks of course were very curious!

Bunnies out, curious chickens and ducks in.



So many helpers.

I started cleaning, digging out the cage until I got to the fenced flooring (has to be or they'll dig out!). I then worked on loosening the dirt around the outside of the cage so it would move a bit better. Part of the weight issue when we've moved this before might have been built up hay and soil stuck to the fencing.

KitKat peekaboo

I see you!
The weight does add up...though it's just plain heavy too, chain link panels covered in welded wire and hardware cloth a fenced roof and a fenced floor. It's heavy and big. Once I got the kennel loosened right up and all dirt removed I found that it was not quite unbearably heavy and maybe I could shift it myself with the help of a dolly. It only had to turn 90 degrees and move maybe 15 feet or so.
Found the floor.


The dolly really helped and I got the kennel moved to it's new position!

I should have shut them in at that point though Matilda was still out


Then the chickens claimed it.
New.... for us!

Bunnies outside looking in at chickens in their cage.


The bunnies were in fact curious and in and out a bit but the chickens would not leave. They love new things.

Finally I had to scoot all the chickens out so I could put the bunnies in for the night. I didn't want to leave the chore of catching them until late because they are very hard to catch.





I'm very happy with the way it turned out and I don't think this area will be prone to flooding. Also being right off the taller main fencing I can easily put the tarp-roof at a good angle for rain to run off. I may try something more permanent for roofing, didn't put all the extra parts back yet so I can think about options.

No comments:

Post a Comment