The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Drainage around the coop, cooking for a crowd, broody birds and did KitKat find any sap in the buckets?

It's raining! I'll take it, rain instead of snow is fine with me. Rain on top of snow and ice creates its own set of problems though so I had to work on some drainage around the birds coop as well as yet more roof raking.


KitKat helped me check the sap buckets today, nope, no sap yet, maybe it's a but too soon.


Most weeks lately I cook a meal for one friend and her brother who can't cook for health reasons. This week another family from my (former) small group needs a helping hand with a meal so I'm cooking for a crowd, counting my family of 6 I need to cook for 14! Even though I won't deliver until tomorrow I thought I better get a head start on the meal prep. I'm not the best cook and I don't love cooking but I try my best. I got the main dishes and desserts done today, tomorrow all I have to do are the side dishes. I'm glad I decided to do some ahead it took several hours.



Back in the coop and we sure have silkies thinking spring and dreaming of chicks. I found four silkies hoarding nest boxes and growling in their own funny way at any birds that attempts to get in those particular boxes. I'm not letting them keep eggs yet and put them to roost each night closing up the nest boxes. It helps keep the broodiness at bay...a little bit.


I had a lot of cleaning to do and laundry and all the usual things. It was a busy day and both KitKat and I were glad to finish the last task and be done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment