The Farm*Homestead*Garden Blog

All things farm, garden, homestead related from the Catsndogs4us family.

Our life on a wild, woodland homestead.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

It's All Go All Of A Sudden

Our little farm is pretty quiet over the winter, not too much happening. Then all of a sudden it's nearly spring and things pick up in intensity.

Tapping Maple Trees!

New Baby Chicks!

Adopted Adult Ducks!

It's all go, I'm busy and I'm tired at the end of the day! Today I worked on the acclimation of the new ducks to the existing flock. I had the new ducks in their own pen for a few hours, making sure they got plenty of food. Then about 9:30 I let the new ducks out into the big run with the whole flock. There were some scuffles for about an hour. Nothing serious,  it felt like I was breaking up toddler arguments. Most of the scuffles started with mama duck, she is still protecting her big baby and I don't blame her. She made sure that our existing flock knew they were not to bother her big baby. Funny enough her big baby was integrating just fine with the flock. I didn't see one scuffle involving her. The Cayuga integrated very well too. mama duck set her boundaries, let everyone know her views and then finally, finally settled down. By noontime she was absolutely fine and mingling with the flock. I think the whole gang had a good day together. Warmer weather, 60 F degrees! Lots of wet melting snow and ducks love the wet. Plenty of treats to keep everyone happy while getting to know each other. It went well. The two groups will still sleep separately until we make some changes to the coop setup but I don't see any problems with them roaming together in the daytime.


Getting to know you.......





And just a few interesting pictures from the farm yard today.





No comments:

Post a Comment